Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Gabe scare

Bryan and I helped (Well Bryan did since I have Gabe) Nathan and Julie move this weekend. It reminded me of Memorial Day weekend 3 years ago when we moved into our house except it was a lot harder having 2 little boys under 7 months.
Monday we were all over at their apartment even Jacob came to help too while Janell was working. Bryan, Nathan and Jacob were taking a load over to my parents and Julie ended up taking her clothes over so that left Mom, me, Gabe, Dad and Jaden. Jaden was fast asleep in my moms arms and as there was no furniture to sit on I laid a blanket out and put Gabe down. He was making his funny noises, stretching, yawning etc. when he threw up. It was very thick and there was a lot! It had been a while since I'd fed him so it was weird that he was throwing it up. I think that he has acid reflex. They say that Preemies are prone to it? Anyway, I was looking all over for a burp rag to clean him up and my mom yelled he's choking. This has happened before so I calmly turned him on his side and started patting his back. Mom told me to get the syringe (they told me to use that if he chokes and use it to suck the spit up out of his mouth). It wasn't working and more was coming out. Out of his mouth and nose. His eye's got big and he started changing color and he wasn't breathing. Mom started crying and gave Jaden to my dad. Told me to call 911 and she was patting him on the back.
You know I went to the baby CPR class and sat there thinking I'll never have to use this on him. Never say never. In that CPR class they show you how to do the Heimlich on a baby too. Surprisingly I was calm through the whole thing. When I was talking to the 911 operator Gabe had started to cry and breathe, he told me NOT to do CPR (as I was just about to) because he couldn't cry if he wasn't breathing. The ambulance arrived and it was two ladies who were SO kind. I was glad that it was women and not men, I don't know why? Through all of that Gabe's color turned first to red then purple then blue and after he started breathing again he was a very pasty green. He didn't get his color back for a long time and he was so tired. I didn't cry until later after we had dinner that Nathan and Julie bought for all of us and I was holding him in my arms and looking at him. I'm going to cry now typing this because it was probably the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me. I can't even begin to tell you how that felt. I thought, I'm going to lose my baby right now. As he was trying to breathe he would let out this noise like he was trying to breathe and cry and it just broke my heart. I felt so helpless. I can live without that ever happening again. Just goes to show that I can't control what happens to my precious boy, God is in control!

No comments: