Friday, July 06, 2007

3 months


Gabe had his 3 month appointment today and it went really well. Gabe now weighs a whopping 11lbs. 10oz. He is in the 15th percentile for his weight. He got his 2 month vaccinations also and that was very traumatic for both Gabe and mommy. She inserted the first one and Gabe didn't even have a chance to react before the 2nd and third one went in, in which he screamed and then held his breath. I blew on his face to try and get him to take a breath and he cried and cried. It was such a heart-breaking cry. :o( I can live without doing that again, even though I will have to.
I was talking to Marcia yesterday about the milestones. They say when they are preemies to base it on their adjusted age. Gabe is 3 months today but is just over a month adjusted. Here is the difference between the milestones:

1 month

Mastered Skills (most kids can do)

• Lifts head when lying on tummy (Gabe can do this, but I don't think he's mastered it yet. More tummy time needed I think?)
• Responds to sound (check)
• Stares at faces (check)

Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)

• Follows objects briefly with eyes (I think he can doing this ok)
• Vocalizes: oohs and aahs (Just now starting to do this more...SO cute)
• Can see black-and-white patterns

Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)

• Smiles, laughs (definitley smiles a lot, but hasn't started laughing yet)
• Holds head at 45-degree angle (not yet)

3 month
(Gabe isn't doing really any of these yet)

• Recognizes your face and scent
• Holds head steady
• Visually tracks moving objects
• Squeals, gurgles, coos
• Blows bubbles
• Recognizes your voice
• Does mini-pushup
• Rolls over, from tummy to back
• Turns toward loud sounds
• Can bring hands together, bats at toys

I was reading someone's blog a while back and they said regarding their little girl and milestones...

"I'm not sure what to expect from her, she's setting a pace, and nobody is going to make her get there a moment sooner or later.
So milestones, they come all at different times, I'm not poor at parenting if my child doesn't fit the status quo that a weekly email sends me. And when I think about it, I don't want a child that fits the status quo, I want her to embrace her unique self, whatever that is, from talking to her imaginary friends to choosing clothes for a party even if they are all stripes. Or maybe needing her soft blanket to blowing bubbles as she talks into a cup."


This is SO true. I want Gabe to embrace his unique self, whatever that is!

No comments: