Thursday, May 08, 2008

What a trooper

Coughing, congestion, sneezing, oxygen levels low, ear infection and finally we have a tooth.
Gabe -- what a trooper! He just can't seem to catch a break.

My poor, helpless, baby has suffered all of the above for the last 4 days. It was awful. We didn't know he had anything 'till Sunday night when we had to take him the ER. It hit so fast. He got up from his nap on Sunday and I fed him dinner but a little bit after that I noticed that he was having a horrible time breathing. He also had been coughing. I checked his temp and it wasn't too high. 100ยบ and he was obviously super uncomfortable and it was just one of the most heartbreaking mommy-moments, yet. There was no way to take it away. Awful.

We went to ST.Vincents...I know it's far away, but I had heard that whenever we needed to take him to the ER that we should take him to either Emmanuel or St. V's. My insurance doesn't cover Emmanuel. What a weird feeling driving out there and parking in the parking garage where we spent so many days and nights when Gabe was born. Brought back a lot of memories.

We got right in. The check in nurse took his weight, temperature and oxygen levels. She didn't say if anything was abnormal. However, as soon as we went to sit down in the lobby they called Gabe's name. That was confirmation to us that we made the right decision, taking him in.

They had us put a little gown on him. He looked SO cute, but it was so sad too. The nurse came in and listened to his lungs. She gave us a tube thing to hold up to his nose and mouth that was connected to oxygen. He didn't like it, but it was obviously making him feel better.




The Dr. came in and had us re-explain his symptoms. I guess because of my explanation of his symptoms, she asked me if I was a nurse. I was like, "UM NO!" She also listened to his lungs and ordered an x-ray just to make sure he didn't have pneumonia. The x-ray tech came to take us to the room and I offered to go. When we got to the room and she explained what Gabe was going to have to do to get the x-ray, I suddenly wished Bryan would have taken him. It was AWFUL! He had to stick his legs through these two holes and I had to hold his arms straight up while she closed these plastic walls around him to hold him still. He cried and cried. Thankfully it didn't last too long. We went back to the room and waited for the results and they also gave him steroids. We waited a little longer and the Dr. came in and said that she didn't see any pneumonia and that his oxygen levels were much better.

They sent us home with an inhaler with a chamber tube and a little rubber face mask. It doesn't mean that he has asthma, it's just supposed to help with the breathing issues. We got home around 1 or 2 and we were all exhausted.

Monday I wrote an email to my team at work and stayed home with Gabe. He was very weak and lethargic. He didn't leave my side all day. Mom came over that evening and snuggled with Gabe a little bit. We also called his pediatrician because he was burning up, he was having a hard time breathing again and he was whimpering. We gave him some Tylenol and Ibuprofen and got some Pedialyte down him. He finally fell asleep on my mom. He was so miserable. It broke my heart.
He woke up at 2 in the morning burning up and shaking. We took his pj's off, gave him more Tylenol and Ibuprofen and some water and we just rocked until he fell asleep again.
Tuesday morning we went to see a different pediatrician because his pediatrician wasn't in that day. He checked him out and we found out that he also has an ear infection on top of everything else. Second one in two months. I hope he's not taking after me. I had chronic ear infections when I was little and had to have tubes in my ears twice.

Gabe is starting to feel a little better.
Tonight Gabe and I were reading books and he had his bink in his mouth. I took it out and said "you don't need that" and he smiled really big (first one in a couple days). I saw something when he smiled so I put my finger in his mouth and lo' and behold there was a little toofer poking out. FINALLY I was SO excited. I called Bryan's cell, even though he was in class. I tried my mom, sister...no one. I had to tell someone. Bryan texted me "WHAT?" so I texted him back "can you call me real quick" He called in about 5 minutes and Gabe and I told daddy that he cut his first tooth. heehee

Please pray for us, that Gabe will continue to get well.

6 comments:

Janell said...

Hey!!! I didn't get any call, message saying Gabe got his first tooth! Hello!!! I want to know those things too! :)-

TcH said...

Hey! I didnt either!!
How rude : -)

Poor guy! I can't believe all of that was going on, and I didnt even know, so I could pray or help or ANYTHING. Sniff.

He does look cute in his gown.

Brenda L said...

I'll be praying for your little guy. I wanted to share that when we had Anthony on March 23rd at St. V it was the oddest feeling to walk back in and go into the hallway past the NICU. T and I both agreed that we had weird feeling but were very glad we had been at that hospital for Amanda. Oh, and we were told the same thing about the hospitals. 2 days before Anthony came we had to take Amanda to ER at Emanual.

Brandy said...

So sorry for what is going one with Gabe. :( I have been down that road with all three of them now and it never gets easier. :(

Owen still doesn't have any teeth either!

Aidan is really sick right now too. :( It's in my blog, but not the one that's linked here. www.bransblahg.wordpress.com is the correct one. ;-) If you don't mind, I want to put you on my blog roll too. ;-)

Brandy said...

Saw you came by... ;-) Thanks for visiting! ;-)

Jenny said...

Ah Janell I'm sorry...I should have called you first! I love you sis!

T - I know I know...I need to remember to tell people what's going on! I always forget to ask for prayer for me.

Brenda - HI! Long time no talk. How are you guy's? What happened with Amanda? I hope everything is OK.

Brandy - I hate feeling SO helpless. There is nothing more I want then to protect my baby and I felt SO helpless. It's the worst feeling. I know you know what I mean.

It was so exciting when I felt the tooth for the first time. I am so used to him not having any teeth...he's going to look so different when he starts getting more. hehe

Totally don't mind! I added you to mine.
I hope all is well! :o)