Friday, August 22, 2008

Family Camp (update)

Well I'm behind a whole week. This time last week we were on the road, finishing up errands and heading to the beach. We got most everything packed up on Thursday night. Got up at 7 on Friday morning and packed up the truck and got ready to leave. I wanted to be on our way by 10:30 at the latest. I think we left the house around 10:45. Not too bad.

Gabe was SO ready for a nap by the time we left so I knew that he'd fall asleep quick. He ended up only sleeping for a half hour. NOT GOOD! He was a holy terror the rest of the way to Fort Steven's. He normally is so good in the car, but he definitely didn't get all of his sleepies out in that half hour.

When we reached the turn off for Canon Beach and Seaside traffic was horrible. It was pretty strange. We got to our campsite around 2ish and unpacked. Dan and Randy helped Bryan set up the tent and canopy.

Speaking of the that, camping in a tent with Gabe was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. He would wake up in the morning and just putter around the tent. I had a bin of toy's and he would talk to us as we lazily tried to sleep a tad longer. Gabe slept through the night both nights. He was excellent! HUGE answer to prayer and thank you Target for the battery operated sound machine that T told me about. ((thumbs up))

After we unpacked we went to the beach. I froze…it was SO windy and the sun kept hiding behind the clouds. Thank goodness I had brought a coat for Gabe. He loved it on the beach. He played, got wet, ate some sand, piled a bunch of sand on his lap and used his shovel and pale. He was so cute. I wasn't that thrilled with how windy/cold it was on the beach. I love being on the beach and it was just not fun to me this time. :o(

Bryan threw a frizz bee for Calie and she started barking weird, just being weird in general. She was completely out of sorts the whole weekend which wasn't fun but OH WELL.

After we left the beach, Gabe and I went to take a shower. Gabe was completely sandy and sometimes you just feel icky after being on the beach.

We BBQ'd hot dogs for dinner and had chips and pasta salad with that. While we were eating Natalie and Rachael came over to love on Gabe. It was so funny. Gabe was totally flirting with these beautiful young ladies. Natalie stole Gabe and took him to the ice cream social in the other loop. We finished cleaning up dinner and then joined them. I took Jaden over there too. We had a huge group there and it was fun to hang out.

For the life of me I can not remember what happened after that. I know that I ended up getting Gabe's PJ's on and feeding him a bottle. We sat at my moms fire and I snuggled him close and he fell asleep right away. It was so sweet. I put him down in the tent, turned on the sound machine and took the monitor over to Teresa's site. We sat around and talked for a while and I think I ended up going to bed around midnight?

Saturday morning Gabe woke up early I think. I just got him out of his pack -n- play and he puttered around the tent. We had egg mcmuffins for breakfast. Gabe had a banana and eggs. Gabe wanted to walk around everywhere.
Calie was still driving us nutty so we all went on a long walk to Battery Russell. Gabe wanted to walk up the stairs and so he and I went up to the top. I almost had a heart attack a bunch of times just picturing him falling off the edge. I worry too much but needless to say we went down to the ground after that.

We walked back to the campsite and Gabe fell asleep right when we got back in the stroller. SO CUTE! I transferred him into his pack -n- play and then I went and hung out at Nate and Teresa's site. Around 2 Gabe was still sleeping, Bryan took a nap too and I helped Teresa decorate for Alexis's birthday party. It was such a great party and I think that Alexis felt very special...at least I hope she did.
Teresa did such a great job and they have this dinning tent thing and we filled it with balloons. The kids had a blast in it.

A little while later we made dinner and after clean up I went to take a shower and then we got ready for our night time...glow in the dark parade. Gabe and Jaden rode in Travis and Marcia's red wagon. It was so much fun.
I got gabe ready for bed after the parade and he snuggled with me in front of the fire till 11ish. As I walked from Teresa's site back to mine he had fallen fast alseep. I stayed up and had fun hanging out around the fire with friends. We laughed and had a great time. I went to bed around midnight again and as I settled into my warm sleeping bag it began to rain. I thought to myself "SHOOT". It lasted like 5-10 minutes though so not too bad.

Sunday morning Gabe woke up early again. We got up and I took him out and gave him breakfast (YUMMY breakfast cookies and a nana of course). I made coffee and we started packing up. I HATE that part of camping. It wasn't long enough that's for sure. I would have liked to camp at least 2 more days. It rained a little while we packed up and we left for home around 1. Gabe was out before we even got out of Fort Steven's and I was out before we got out of Seaside. HA Poor Bryan!

It was a great time with family and friends and I'm so glad we went. I love camping!

7 days till our next/last camping trip this summer!

4 comments:

TcH said...

OH look at that, your mini iPod started playing Kenny Chesney for me! What a good little hostess you are. ha ha.

thanks for the camping run down. Hard to believe it was only a week ago. Seems like forever??? it makes me sad b/c last week at this time I had Alexis with me. Wish I still did.

Im glad Gabe did better camping than you thought he might. I hope you heard if you can borrow that trailer by now!!!

Love yew!
TBone

kate said...

I'm so glad you all had fun. makes me kind of jealous. Maybe next year...who knows

Jenny said...

Bryan got a call today. WE get the borrow the tent trailer again. YEA!!!!! I'm actually really excited to go camping next weekend!

Kate - it would be awesome if you went camping next year. It really isn't SO bad. ;o)

TcH said...

yes! very cool about the tent trailer!!!! awesome news