Wednesday, August 06, 2008

What's for dinner??

When I picked Gabe up tonight, Teresa was preparing dinner for her, Kambrie and her friend Amy. My friend Kate posted it on her blog and I have wanted to make it, but haven't yet. I was looking at the ingredients and I knew that I had everything in my house so I decided that is what I was going to make tonight. My house smelt SO good and it was FABULOUS! This is a must try!

Mexican-Inspired Turkey Burgers
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
4 hamburger buns (I think this makes about 8 small, 6 medium, 4 very large)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except turkey. Mix well, then add turkey and combine well. Form into patties and either grill covered over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reads 165 and juices run clear. You can also add lettuce, tomato, and if you have 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 sour cream you can mix and add as spread.

Side Dish (same publication and page)

Oven Fries
4 medium potatoes (I like Yukon Golds)
1 T Olive oil
2 1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder

cut potato into wedges. in large bowl combine oil and spices and toss with potatoes. Transfer to baking sheet 10x15 coated with cooking spray and bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes, turning once.

I also got a couple requests for a recipe that I made for Nate and Jenny on Sunday night. So here it is:

Foil-Pack Taco Chicken

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1/2 lb. red potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup salsa
3/4 cup shredded four cheese style cheese
1/4 sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 sprinkle chicken with seasoning mix. Place 1/2 cup of the potatoes on center of each of 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil; top evenly with chicken, salsa and cheese.

Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and both ends to seal each packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place in 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

Bake 30-35 min. or until chicken is cooked through (165) Remove packets from oven. Let stand 5 min. Cut slits in foil to release steam before opening. Serve with sour cream.

Side notes: spray foil to prevent potatoes from sticking to the foil. i didn't peel the potatoes but you can. i like having the skin on. you can use reduced fat cheese and sour cream

VERY TASTY! Enjoy!

2 comments:

kate said...

great job. They are really good. I made them this week too. LOVE them. I could eat them forever.

can't wait to try your foil dinner.

TcH said...

yum!! Im trying those tacos.
YUM YUM
keep sharing recipes!!!
you too Kate! :-P